Friday, December 5, 2014

Better than Fiction

Ever since I stole my sister’s password on Netflix, I have been watching documentaries. The movies aren’t as boring and mundane as you might believe. A lot of the films are actually targeted towards a younger audience, and they are just as captivating as a Hollywood movie.

In fact, a lot of trends I have become passionate about started from watching a documentary. “Food Inc.” urged me change some of my eating habits, “Blackfish” is the reason swimming with dolphins was taken off my bucket list and “Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead” encouraged me to start juicing. Documentaries can take you inside of subcultures and lifestyles you may have never known existed. The movies can also teach you a great deal about the diversity of this world and the major issues in society.

In case you have never watched a documentary, I have listed my top ten. Please let me know if you take the time to watch any, or if you enjoy any of the ones listed. I promise if you watch the first three, you will not be disappointed.

1. Dear Zachary
2. Craiglist Joe
3. Blackfish
4. First Position
5. Super Size Me
6. The Whale
7. Vanishing of the Bees
8. Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead
9. Tiny

10. 9/11 The Falling Man

4 comments:

  1. Meredith,

    Thanks so much for the list! I have heard a lot about the great documentaries featured on Netflix, but have never had the chance to watch them. I definitely am going to try to watch a few over break! I will let you know which ones I decide to watch and what I think about them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meredith, I am always looking for Netflix recommendations and I always look for movies that are out of the ordinary. I have seen Super Size Me and I don't think I can finish that movie anymore. Watching that movie one time was enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The author of this blog is the one responsible for my love of documentaries. She started sharing all these new topics and information I was never aware of. I started watching them myself. I was exposed to new things and learned about toics that rarely get mentioned. I recently watched Titanic, The Final Mystery, and was blown away! It explained how the sinking of the Titanic is due to geothermal conditions! Watch it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took your advice and watched Dear Zachary! It was very good, thank you for the recommendation. I like the length of documentaries and the amount you can learn from them. It's just hard for them to catch sail because not many people watch documentaries.

    ReplyDelete